Living Room Shiz
- Need some neon pink in my grey living room! I’m probs just going to spray paint the Ikea Molger bench that the TV is on right now
- ‘Formal Garden’ pattern I want to put on the walls in foil tape. Foil tape? Yes. See below.
- PAPER TASSELS OMG. I have the tassels done, just need to go buy some string and then hang them behind the couch.
- Probably going to end up with dip-dye or batik or some simple DIY dye situation for the curtains because I can’t afford the $70 turquoise velvet ones I REALLY WANT from IKEA and I have lots of sheer white curtains already (and dye is like $3)…? I was thinking of getting the same curtains that we just threw up in the office in black instead of blue but I am worried that it would compete patterns if we decided to do the foil wall and they were $25 and literally the cheapest things I can do are the best things :’(
I’m just excited I can *hopefully* re-do the living room with $30 or less :D :D :D
sources: 1, 2, 3, 4
[Pssst. Definitely check out source #1 because I’m in LOVE with that house tour on Design*Sponge - so moody and awesome]
#2 foil wall = an amazing DIY feature wall with ‘foil tape’ from the hardware store from the Kara Paslay Designs blog
PS. I put up the paper tassel garland and there’s no need for the foil tape design anymore, so that’s extra awesome! Money and time saved :p
Nail-nook/lady area inspirations (see previous post if confused)
- Ikea VITTSJO desk repainted in a cool teal color on the blog Brittany Makes [tbh, I just really like all these colors - coral, gold, teal-ish, white]
- Confetti! Specifically this DIY wall art that looks like confetti (it is exactly as easy as you think it would be; cut out circles and put on wall with removable adhesive like Blu Tac = tah dah! free wall decor)
- Overpriced-seeming (to me, the person that drops money like it aint no thing on nail polish, ugh) lustworthy acrylic jewelery box to store makeup products (i.e. a cheaper Ice Box, Diva Cube, whatever) from The Container Store ($60) [Psst. Muji makes some good options, too]
- A stair-step clear plastic spice rack, also from The Container Store, to place favorite polishes that I use a lot and/or ones that need to be swatched for the blog. I was holding out on this because I thought I should get a larger rack that would hold more bottles, but I think this is a good price and fit for the Melmers ((see it in action over on the Beauty Broadcast blog; I was a little creepy and tried to count how many bottles fit in her’s and I think the larger sized rack could do ~50 bottles depending on the bottle shapes, so that seems like a good deal! $10 rack for 50 bottles vs. $30 rack that’s wider than the Melmer for 60 bottles))
- Pretty much the perfect vanity set-up and inspiration for the furniture I already own from a home tour of Catherine Sheppard on The Glitter Guide (including those paper tassels, which I have been making out of tissue paper that comes with all the stuff I ordered myself)
- Folding chair update tutorial from Makekind! We have a dirty and unloved folding chair just like this sitting in our living room and I think it would be a really nice chair for the nail area if I glammed it up with a little spray paint and fabric. I actually really love the exact color and pattern from the example - coral with black and white chevron fabric
- Clear plastic boxes from The Container Store (are we sensing a theme with ‘clear’ and ‘container store’ yet?) with lids to hold my makeup brushes - right now they’re in mismatched coffee mugs. Having lids on the boxes will keep the brushes clean (no dust!) and at $2-$4, these containers are cheaper than almost all of the options at Home Goods/Michaels/any place I have checked with like items. (Sorry this photo is weird in the collage, but I don’t fault TCS because I can only assume it’s really hard to photograph CLEAR things without just getting a reflection of yourself, etc.)
- This light, iced mint colored filing cabinet from CB2 is such a dreamy color!! I have the desire to repaint my mis-matched IKEA Helmers the same shade [why I thought a red one was a good idea when I had a cream one is beyond me…I think I wanted red the first time and was being shy, so the second time I made sure to get it. Cool job, self.]
I’m getting a fancy lady area for makeup, jewelry, nail polish, etc.!!!
I am so excite!
This is the ‘bare bones, didn’t shove a bunch of junk over here yet’ “before” photo with my plans to follow :D
bathroom re-do in progress! except switch out an Ikea Vittsjo shelf unit for the sweet industrial shelving unit in the top right corner because it’s just too big to fit the space between toilet and shower-tub
things happening right now:
- Blogging while a Vittsjo gets constructed next to me
- Admiring the new soap dispenser from Target (we went with the green-tinted glass one in the middle of the above photo)
things left 2 do:
- ombre them walls! [most likely when current annoying cabinet is gone]
- go thrifting for a back-of-toilet tray and/or glass container for TP
- go to Ikea. Again.
- Convince Boyfriend we ‘need’ the $25 child’s coat rack for a towel rack @ Ikea
Amsterdam apartment via [http://bit.ly/VlzXAp]
Fun orange storage!
“cut paper sculpture ” on House and Home: http://bit.ly/VawsNV
“crazy ceiling lamp (” on House and Home: http://bit.ly/X8p57r
“awesome buffalo prin” on House and Home: http://bit.ly/Vawplg
“industrial Montreal ” on House and Home: http://bit.ly/RQgglm
“Ikea hack in a kids ” on House and Home: http://bit.ly/Vin0sQ